Cecilia D'Anastasio reports on games, virtual worlds, digital labor and anime. Her reporting methods include embedding in virtual worlds and exploring the cultural tide pools that form around gaming, like online streaming and visibility movements. She is a senior reporter at Kotaku, Gizmodo's video game vertical. Her words have appeared in VICE, The Nation, Jezebel, VICE Motherboard, VICE Broadly, Gothamist and the Columbia Journalism Review.
Her writing for Kotaku is collected here. Some highlights below:
- "When Fans Take Their Love For Twitch Streamers Too Far"
- "The Surprising And Allegedly Impossible Death Of EverQuest's 'Unkillable' Dragon"
- "Black Cosplayers Talk About Self-Doubt"
- "What People Miss When They Use 'Autistic' As An Insult"
- "Dungeons & Dragons Wouldn’t Be What It Is Today Without These Women"
- "Twenty Years Later, A Furry MMO Fights To Stay Alive"
- "Console Repairmen Explain Why Cockroaches Love PS4s"
- "For Twitch Streamers Who Spend Their Lives On Camera, It's Hard To Know When To Stop"
- "Dungeons & Dragons’ Gradual Shift Away From Monster Boobs"
- "Hit Dating Game Mystic Messenger Makes A Game Out Of Emotional Labor"
- "Inside The Brothels Of Final Fantasy XIV"
- "Smash Players Thought They Were Friends With A Reclusive 'God' Developer, But Now Suspect She Duped Them"
- "Two Final Fantasy XIV Players Buy Dozens Of Homes, Spark Debate Over Housing Shortage"
- "Cards Against Humanity’s Never-Ending Fight Against Copycats"
- "Yuri On Ice: The Kotaku Review"
- "It's Time For YouTubers And Twitch Streamers To Organize"
- "World's Best Smash 4 Player Is Worn Down By Haters And Harassment"
Previous writing below:
- "Avatar IRL," VICE Motherboard (2015)
- "Can Virtual Sex Prevent Pedophiles from Harming Children in Real Life?" VICE Broadly (2016)
- "Why Video Games Can't Teach You Empathy," VICE Motherboard (2015)
- "Men Are Working Out Their Issues By Playing As Their Lovers and Exes in RPGs," VICE Motherboard (2016)
- "When Your Day Job Is Also Your Favorite Video Game," VICE Motherboard (2016)
- "Wargames and Peace," Barnes & Noble Review (2015)
- "Nintendo's Charming 'Miitomo' Could Be the Most Brilliant Data Mining App Ever," VICE Motherboard (2016)
- "Strawberry Cubes Forever," The Washington Spectator (2016)
- "Inside the Tragic, Obsessive World of Video Game Addicts," VICE (2015)
- "The Invisible Labor Economy Behind Pirated Japanese Comics," VICE Motherboard (2015)
- "What Black Anime Fans Can Teach Us About Race in America," VICE (2015)
- "Parfaits Not Perverts: Inside NYC's First 'Maid Cafe,'" Gothamist.com (2014)
- "Where Is the New Cyberfeminism?" The Nation (2016)
- "The Secret History of a Fleeting Pre-Internet Digital Media Channel," VICE Motherboard (2017)
- "Inside the Stupid Shit No One Needs & Terrible Ideas Hackathon," VICE Motherboard (2016)
- "How Cryptocurrencies Like Bitcoin Could Save the Indie Porn Industry," VICE (2014)
- "Does the Tech Industry Even Deserve Women?" VICE Broadly (2015)
- "Sex Ed in VR Can Prepare Young Women for Actual Sex," VICE Motherboard (2015)
- "Samuel R. Delany Speaks," The Nation (2015)
- "The Earliest Science Fiction," VICE Motherboard (2015)
- "In Our Orbit: A Tolerance for Ambiguity," The Nation (2014)
- "Book Culture Employees Say They Were Fired For Voting To Unionize," Gothamist.com (2014)
- "John Scioli, Brooklyn's Most Eccentric Book Seller, Explains Why He's Cashing Out," Gothamist.com (2015)
- "When Your Baby Dies in a Home Daycare, Who's to Blame?" VICE Broadly (2017)
- "Girls Speak Out Against Sexist School Dress Codes," TheNation.com (2014)
- "Preparing for Combat Zones," The Columbia Journalism Review (2013)
- "Meet the Gay Libertarian Gun Nuts," VICE (2014)
- "What Happens When a Prominent Male Feminist Is Accused of Rape?" Jezebel (2015)